Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Some pictures while in Peru

Here are a few picture from Huanchaco the week before I arrived in Esperanza, the small town outside of Trujillo where Horizon school is located:

While I was wondering around the beach of Huanchaco last week I saw a bunch of Peruvians working on these little canoe like boats. I was told they use them eveyday to go out to sea to catch their fresh fish. Although they look a bit flimsy, Im told they are quite strong and can last up to like 6 or 8 months.


Here the fishermen can be seen using their boats to paddle out to sea to find their fish.


My first and last ceviche of white fish and shrimp. I didnt know what I was ordering exactly because Id asked for a recommendation from the owner. I wouldnt have ordered this if Id known 1. how much freaking food it was going to be and 2. what type of fish it was. It also came with yuka, corn on the cob, a sweet potatoe like food and unpopped popcorn that was super salty. There is a dirty old water bottle on the table that I was told supposedly scares flies away because they see their reflection and get scared. I didnt see any flies around and these water bottles are very common on restaurant tables, but it just seems a bit questionable as to its effectiveness...I dont know, I wasnt convinced.


The last few pieces of fish I could not swallow, impressed with how much I ate? I was!!


A TOUR OF THE HORIZON HOUSE:

My bedroom, one of two girl-rooms upstairs. There are three rooms upstairs, including Luz and her 2 year old daughter Emmas room. In my room there are 2 sets of bunkbeds, and I started on the top of one of them when I was sick. It was uncomfortable having to climb up the stairs while sick so the next day I switched to the bottom one. Luckily the mattress is better than the one at the farm and with a sheet on my bed I feel fairly protected from bedbugs and lice. Also super luckily I think my bag is better because I have stopped getting bug bites, THANK GOODNESS, I am free from itchy skin!! Ahhh what a relief!


Here is the view when you first walk into the house: Welcome to Horizon School. There are two rooms downstairs that are used for classrooms/tutoring sessions. This is the first one and on the other side of the wooden barrier there is another similar looking room. The other room is where Nicola, Andrea and I took our Marinella (traditional Peruvian dance) class last night. It was 2 hours and felt very long. It was nice to stretch out a bit, but the movements were pretty hilarious and harder than I expected to master.


This is a better shot of the classroom supplies with the signs, pictures and desks ready for the students.


This tilted picture eliminates the hallway you walk down from the classrooms to the kitchen, bathroom and hang-out room.


The miraculous kitchen where I learned how to light a match, light the gas stove and boil my own water. There is also a nice refrigerator and washing machine, as you can easily see here. Out the window is a little porch/backyard where you can lay your clothes to dry and I think there is also a little structure for recycling, although I have not seen anyone use it or really understand what is going on there.


I am currently here in this room, typing on the computer. The TV was just hooked up last weekend and when I last used it only had one working channel of English boxing...how entertaining...

No comments:

Post a Comment